This is one of my projects I did rendering a new flavor of a beverage
retailed in a 355mL can. Considering the limited visual field of the images and
text as well as thinking about how it will wrap around a cylindrical form. I
chose an existing company and made sure that the logo and the typeface was exact.
(However this project was not intended for the beverage company itself) Markers
were used in this project as well as the mortising technique. Mortising is when
you render the background with out leaving room for your illustration and then glue
your illustration, which is on another piece of paper on top of the background.
Then you cut around the illustration making sure the bottom background is also
being cut. You remove the top illustration as well as the bottom background
paper and re-glue the illustration.
My first step was to gather a variety of different canned beverage. I
found actual cans and examples of cans on the internet. I even searched for
some of the cans around the world and different types of fruit and vegetables.
I selected some as a source of inspiration and used them as a reference for
harmony, composition, and typeface.
I then sketched thumbnails the different layout designs, techniques, and
I selected two of my ideas and made a linear comprehensive on white bond
paper. I sketched a larger version of my thumbnail with a pencil then I went over with a tech pen.
It was quite tough to work with markers for the Pepsi label since the
new Pepsi logo was so small and the typeface was very thin. I kept exploring
with shading techniques and I also tried a splatter technique on the first one
using a household cleaning product since I thought it would cause the marker to
separate and look like bubbles. I chose the Fanta design as my final since it
was my favorite one because the composition was nice and the colors really made
the design pop and stand out.
This was my final design!
Thank you for reading!
Products I used: Prismacolor Markers, Graphite pencils, White bond paper, Marker-rendering paper pad
(for the comprehensives and Final artwork), Heavy/thick board (for mounting/backing the Final artwork), Glue, Tape, and Scissors.
I am working on a beer label design as well as the beer case design and a t-shirt design. This will be from the same Beer | Branding post I blogged about before.
I worked on a label for this design and also a logo to go on the cap.
I started out with sketching what I wanted to display on my label design. I used a reference image of a leopards face and I wanted to make an illustration from that.
This is a photo reference of a Leopard I used. I place it on a locked layer underneath my working layer.
I used the freeform tool and drew the dark shades on top to show a basic shape of the leopard.
I changed the fill and the stroke to a different colour to make stand out a bit more.
I had drawn in the frame from before. I don't know what was going on with my camera but I lost all the images. But I basically placed my sketch on a locked layer underneath my vector drawing and drew the shaped and flowers. I wanted to make it look more royal and give it the victorian look.
I created a bar code for this in Corel and placed the volume information for the beer.
I was about to finish off here but I noticed that the back of the frame looks very empty and it looks very plain. I also made the square corners into a round corner.
I added a similar shape I drew on one of the parts of the frame and I mirrored it and placed it on all four sides. As for the colour, I made it a couple of shades lighter than the background colour.
Here I created a die line.
I added a drop shadow to the text to make it stand out more.
This is for the bottle cap.
Everything was illustrated by me using Corel Draw X6.